One thing is certain – there are a lot of career advice articles and work-related stories out there. I like to read them all. Each Friday I will round up the most interesting articles I’ve read from the week. Take a look at this week’s Recommended Reading Round-Up:
Article: On Facebook Voyeurism via Fast Company
- Why I like it: A funny take on “facebook stalking” that reminds us that someone (even if it’s just facebook employees & the FBI) is always watching. Consider anything you post and do online to be “findable” in some rare circumstance
Article: 37signals Earns Millions Each Year. Its CEO’s Model? His Cleaning Lady via Fast Company
- Why I like it: Shows how a progressive CEO can have a profound impact on company culture and (arguably) company productivity. Carefully consider company leadership & culture as you decide what companies you choose to apply to and interview with.
Article: Sukhinder Singh Cassidy: 5 Key Strategies for the First 5 Years of Your Career via Levo League:
- Why I like it: Sukhinder has had a ridiculously impressive career and her 5 key strategies (based on her big learnings) are spot on… really solid advice from a really impressive woman.
- Why I like it: It’s a really simple piece of advice but also happens to be a really good one.
Article: Lessons from a Career, Interrupted via Harvard Business Review
- Why I like it: It’s always interesting to read about a non-linear career path. Things rarely end up the way we picture them. Be open to change and the different things thrown at you in your career.
- Why I like it: Well, I wrote it! But really, it is definitely important to know both your strengths & weaknesses and factor them in while making career decisions.